8.12.2009

Design essentials

During the school year, I volunteer my time at a local school, helping students put together a newspaper. The students suggest story ideas, write the articles, take the photos and publish the paper. One challenge I have with this project (other than the occasional lazy writer!) is teaching students some basic principles of design. We all know good design when we see it. We usually know bad design when we see it too! But it's hard for me to distill design ideas down to some manageable guidelines for 11- and 12-year-olds.

Quite by accident, I stumbled upon The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams. I highly recommend this book to people who want to learn more about basic design. The author has four general principals that she applies to examples and the results are amazing. It's a great primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment