8.17.2009

Ain't never been done before

My friend Gary and I have very different tastes when it comes to movies. In the interest of expanding our horizons (or filled with glee at the idea of watching each other suffer), we made a deal. I'd watch a movie that he recommended if he watched a movie that I recommended. Gary had never seen Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, a classic black and white movie from 1939 starring Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur. In turn, I had never seen Smokey and the Bandit, filmed in 1977 starring Burt Reynolds and Sally Field.

Gary didn't make too many comments during my movie--although I think he almost fell asleep a few times. Afterwards, I asked him what he thought. He was unmoved. How can you not like the heartwarming naivety of Jimmy Stewart? Ask Gary.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to not make comments during Gary's movie choice. I'll sum up my thoughts like this: despite the dorky plot and dialogue, the movie wasn't as bad as I expected. I even laughed in a few parts.

I finally figured out why Gary likes the movie: the black TransAm and all of the peeling out and burning rubber. Oh, and Burt Reynolds had a mustache.

1 comment:

  1. Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'. We gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run.

    ReplyDelete