4.27.2011

Block party!

Inspired by a story by Jewell Parker Rhodes, I had a block party for my seventh and eighth grade literature class. Rhodes wrote about her childhood experiences in Pittsburgh in the 1950s-60s, notably that her neighbors were "family" and how it felt to be able to call for a summer block party. The students jump roped, played jacks and hopscotch, shot baskets, hula hooped and ate vanilla ice cream drenched in punch, all to a soundtrack of 60s music like Diana Ross and the Supremes and The Temptations.


It was a great celebration of spring and a reminder of the fun of old-fashioned games.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea. Why can't you teach my kids?! Maybe I should host a block party here since most of the neighborhood kids are here all the time anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could teach your kids too. I would LOVE it. The block party was fun. For one whole afternoon, all of the students were enthusiastic about literature class. :)

    ReplyDelete