5.19.2011

Shell Answer Aunt

When I was a kid and I peppered my mother with questions, she would sometimes say, "What do I look like? The Shell Answer Man?"  I've never seen any of those old commercials from the 60s and 70s, but still, I find myself saying the phrase occasionally when I'm exasperated with a barrage of questions from a pint-sized person.

There are times when I don't mind being considered an authority on a subject. Take yesterday, for example. I received a phone call from my eight-year-old nephew Daniel.

"Aunt Jill, I have a Star Wars question. How did Padme Amidala die?"

I thought for a moment and finally arrived at this answer: "She died of a broken heart." (I know, kinda complex for a kid, but how do you say she gave up all desire of living because her husband turned to the dark side and tried choking the life out of her when she was almost nine months pregnant with twins?)

Daniel's response? "Ohhhhh. Luke (his older brother) told me she was hit by a space ice cream truck."

4 comments:

  1. I have so much nerdy love you you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Jill is such a great resource to have. If she doesn't know the answer, it's not important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Jill -- you have the right answer for everything!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember Do or Do not. There is no try...

    ReplyDelete