4.12.2011

Book sale!

Library book sales shatter my self-discipline. I have to go into the sale with a set amount of cash, sans ATM card or checkbook, otherwise the consequences would be disastrous. I can't rush through the sale either. I have to have enough time to properly look through the stacks of books or I will feel as if I missed something critical.

I am pretty excited about one of my finds at the recent library book sale: The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. I began to peruse it and couldn't put it down. The book answered questions that I never knew I had. For example, where did the expression "the real McCoy" come from? When can one properly use the phrase "comme il faut?"

This experience reminded me of one of my favorite television shows. Unfortunately, Sports Night only ran for two seasons. The dialogue was sharp, the characters were complex and the humor was pitch perfect. In one episode, Natalie consults the dictionary to confirm the proper usage of "momentarily" and gets hooked.

Natalie: Aha!
Jeremy: What?
Natalie: According to the dictionary, "momentarily" means "both for a moment" and "in a moment."
Jeremy: Well done.
Natalie: "Monad," by the way, is "an elementary individual substance which reflects the order of the world and from which material properties are derived."
Jeremy: Thank you.
And later...
Natalie: "Monestrous" means "experiencing estrous once a year or breeding season."
Will: What's "estrous?"
Natalie: Let's find out.
Jeremy: Give me the dictionary.

Yes, I do have a dictionary-reading obsession. No, please do not schedule an intervention. At least not yet. 

4 comments:

  1. Jill, I couldn't agree with you more. I find that brain exercise is much more exhilarating than watching TV. Sports Night was an exception. That was a great series full of brain teasers and fun facts, not just mind-numbing chatter. Great post! Thanks for the chuckle and the information. - Nathanael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, my old nemesis, Sports Night. I had a love-hate relationship with that show. Could never quite decide if I was a fan or not. But apparently it's good for one thing - getting Than to comment on a blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks, Natal for commenting! I feel that almost deserves a post of its own. :) It's nice to know someone else appreciates the genius of Sports Night. Deb, you feel about Sports Night the way that I feel about ER!

    ReplyDelete