1.23.2011

The halfway point - part 1

I spend a few hours each day sharing my life-long love for reading and writing with fifth through eighth graders. At the beginning, I couldn't imagined how I would even describe the experience, but since Friday marked the end of the second quarter, I thought I'd share an update from the first half of the school year.

August
The first week, the seventh and eighth grade literature class read Charles by Shirley Jackson. I spent the next two weeks hearing the students use the word "fresh" to describe impudence. I am bombarded by constant requests to watch a movie in class. I begin to wish for a snow day.

September
I discovered that one of the great secrets of the universe is getting students to turn in their work on time and listened to a chorus of collective groans when I assigned a research paper on a historical figure. While I had a rather loose interpretation of "historical figure" and allowed reports on Evil Knievel and Les Paul, I drew the line at Prince Poppycock. (I didn't recognize the name, but I felt pretty comfortable making that judgment call based on that fact alone.) I continue to be bombarded by constant requests to watch a movie. Is there a chill in the air?

October
I read some poetry with the students and during the discussion, I heard the thought expressed that "old people" should not go barefoot. When I probed for details about how old is OLD, I am chagrined to hear them say  "40." I promptly tell the students that I hope they are still going barefoot when they're 80. "Eww. Gross, Miss Tiefel." The school had a fall party with a wild west theme. I dressed up as a pioneer woman, but according to some students, I looked like a pilgrim instead. The seventh and eighth graders continue to beg to watch a movie in class. Is that a blizzard in the forecast?

Check back tomorrow for the second half of the post. :)

2 comments:

  1. Jill, you're doing such a great job! I really wish you could teach Luke and Katie. Seems like you just started, but half the year has already passed. Of course, it was the short half, and your chances of a snow day decrease as you move through spring. I think you're perfect for this job and summer break will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, Deb! It would be fun to teach Luke and Katie... :) It's been a good half of the year so far, even without snow days!

    ReplyDelete