12.12.2010

Playlist for the holidays

I love making gift tags or baking Christmas cookies when I'm listening to festive music. It doesn't hurt to have a candle burning either (I'm loving this new fragrance from Yankee Candle. Or, try the amazing Frasier Fir candle from Minnesota company Thymes).

Here are some whimsical, yuletide tunes that are worth a listen:
  • Breath of Heaven. Amy Grant's beautiful song that envisions Mary's thoughts and feelings during the first Christmas.
  • Silver Bells. Andy Williams does a simply sweet version that makes me want to shop in a charming downtown.
  • Up on the Housetop. This song details children's Christmas wishes and American Idol contestant Kimberley Locke did a rollicking version of it.
  • O Holy Night. This song captures the peaceful essence of Christmas better than most and it's just gorgeous.
  • Sleigh Ride. I haven't heard a bad version of this song, but I like Deborah Gibson's version.
  • Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Remember the magic of Christmas as a child? Bruce Springsteen clearly does.
  • ANYTHING from A Charlie Brown Christmas. I love everything about Charles Schulz's Peanuts, including the music. "Do they even make wooden Christmas trees anymore?" Classic.
  • We Wish You a Merry Christmas. My personal favorite is the version by John Denver and the Muppets: "Did you say Piggy pudding?" 
  • Silver and Gold. This is the perfect song to play while decorating the tree during a blizzard when you have no other place to go. Burl Ives' voice is iconic.
  • 2000 Miles. I can listen to this song by the Pretenders any time of the year, but it's particularly poignant at Christmas. 
What are your must-listen-to Christmas songs?

7 comments:

  1. Breath of Heaven was my recital piece! I had never heard it before this year...but now I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot Santa Baby! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Michael Smith CD you, Jill, recommended to me .... I can't stop listening to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorites is "Do you hear what I hear?" Love it, but only the simple versions where the melody comes through strong and clear.
    And I love my Micheal W Smith CD, too.
    Oh! And Joseph's lullaby...makes me cry every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on, already! How about some new material !! I've anxiously been waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, we are almost at the end of January already!! How about some new stuff already!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still waiting.....

    ReplyDelete