7.08.2010

The cost of freedom

For me, Sept. 11, 2001 dawned like any other day, but by the time the sun set, the world was changed for millions of Americans, including myself. I remember the incredulous horror, the suspended disbelief and the subsequent confusion in the days following 9-11.


Recently, I had the privilege of going to the temporary Flight 93 Memorial near Somerset, Pennsylvania. As I listened to Wendy, the National Park Service ranger on duty, somberly and respectfully recount the timeline of the day, I was moved anew. We are blessed to live in a country where ordinary citizens stand up for our nation and for each other.

The permanent memorial is under construction and will be dedicated on the ten year anniversary. I hope see the finished project one day, but in the meantime, if you can see the temporary memorial, do so. It's worth the trip. Sometimes, the word "history" conjures up thoughts of ancient Rome or the Revolutionary War: events that happened long before we took our first steps. This memorial reminded me that each of us is part of history. We're shaping it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment