7.08.2013

I've got mail


I love getting mail. The anticipation of going to the mailbox and wondering what might be in the mailbox is, to me, one of life's little pleasures. Who knows what will arrive? I might have a new magazine, the latest Entertainment Weekly or Psychology Today. Maybe it will be a new movie from Netfix or a peel-off coupon from Kohl's department store (Did I get 30% off? Time to go shopping!).

My favorite kind of mail is an envelope that's been hand-addressed. That usually signals something fun, like a card from a friend or an invitation.
Bills are decidedly less exciting, but I'm still willing to take a chance and pull the black door open.

Knowing the thrill that I receive when I retrieve my mail, I like to mail things to other people. Oh, I know there are other more immediate and less expensive ways to communicate: E-mail, texting, Facebook, phone calls. And I use all of those too.

It's possible that I've romanticized the idea, but I believe there is a gravitas to receiving something in the mail. In my mind, nothing can replace a handwritten card or letter which arrives in an envelope that bears my address in a familiar scrawl. The sender thought enough about me to personally see to those little details.

When I'm addressing a letter, I'm thinking about its recipient with each swirl of cursive that my ink pen presses into the paper. I don't care that it costs 46¢. It's completely worth it. Less than two quarters to make my family and friends feel like a million bucks? It's a bargain.  

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I got my Kohl's 30% off today and thought of you! And I agree whole heartedly with this post...seeing a letter with familiar and much loved penmanship is one of life's little joys. I'd like to see more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Deb! I feel a little badly, because too often, the only time you see my penmanship is on an envelope filled with coupons...and no letter! But at least it's not a bill in the mail. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. State Property Id Name Last Known Address Property Type Reported By Amount
    3148554 TIEFEL, EMILY A
    EAU CLAIRE, WI, 54703 PAYROLL/WAGES/SALARY PERKINS & MARIE CALLENDER'S LL Under $100

    Go to missing money (gov. website) -This is real. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete