9.22.2011

Made in Wisconsin

My casual friendship with wine has blossomed into a serious love affair. I enjoy tasting different varieties and dropping by wineries. One thing I find particularly fascinating is how different people's taste buds vary. According to the Wisconsin Winery Association, there are 36 wineries in our state, so I thought it would be fun to feature Wisconsin-made wines at a wine tasting party. I don't live in Napa Valley, but that surprisingly, that doesn't limit my choices.

Now, I'm no Martha Stewart when it comes to entertaining, but I thought I'd share a few snapshots from the evening.  Here are my invitations. I used my Cricut machine to cut out the shape of the state and then designed the overlay to be printed on vellum. (Cricut, I love thee so!)


In general, when tasting wine, one starts with the sweeter wines and moves towards the dry. Here's the starting point!


Confession: My house is never as clean as when I have a party. I should host a celebratory occasion every month!


Small place cards told attendees the name and location of the winery and also suggested which cheeses may compliment the wine.


I placed half-used taper candles in empty wine bottles for decoration. (After a few minutes, the dripping wax adds a beautiful, imperfect feel to the decor.) 


Can't wait for the next wine tasting occasion! Do you enjoy wine? What can you recommend?

3 comments:

  1. Jill~ your wine party was amazing! Martha shmartha! You did a great job and I tasted some yummy wines, cheese and chocolates! Thank you for inviting me to join you and your friends! :) I, too, have a love affair with wine! :) ~deej

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know I'm not a big fan of wine (cheese and chocolate is another story) but this looks awesome!! I LOVED your invitation! Very creative. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your party setup Jill. I wish I was there to party with you, it look's very tasty!.........

    ReplyDelete