7.02.2009

Little buddy

My six-year-old nephew Isaiah stayed with me this past week. We had a good time: biking to Grandma's house, making rice krispie treats and crafts, and going to the movies to see Ice-Age 3 (in 3D).

I introduced him to one of my favorite things: Star Wars. Isaiah and I watched the original trilogy this week. Watching a little boy's reaction to seeing the classic movies for the first time reminds me how great they really are...not just as pop culture references or ground-breaking cinematography.

Isaiah peppered me with questions about plot and character. "Aunt Jill, what kind of spaceship does Luke have?" "Are lightsavers warm?" "Why is the emporer so mean?" His favorite character is Luke Skywalker, followed closely by Yoda. He's disturbed that Darth Vader breathes with a mask. He calls C3PO "that golden guy" and has taken to walking around with his knees locked. We take turns reading during the opening titles. Isaiah's line is "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and then it's my turn. The more dramatic the recitation, the better. :)

It was a nice (and lively) way to spend my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment