7.16.2012

The quintessential summer experience

We've had a HOT summer in Wisconsin so far. My plants look lethargic, the grass is a dull shade of brown-green and people seem to be moving slowly. I am *so* thankful for central air conditioning right now!

But I woke up the other day, feeling a little disappointed with myself. I remember as a child, going outside and playing no matter what. The hotter the better. It's summer! Shouldn't I be doing something outdoors, rather than staying inside all the time?

I started thinking about summer activities, like running through the sprinkler. (My neighbors are probably thankful that I haven't done this.) Or simply sitting in the sun, feeling the sweat bead up on my brow as I wait to be cooled by a hot breeze. About the only thing I'm not interested in doing is shopping for school supplies. I'm waiting until August for that one.

Yesterday I picked fresh red raspberries at a dear friend's home. It was a treasure hunt of sorts, as the best berries stay hidden under the leaves. Then I waded in a cool children's pool to soothe the myriad bug bites around my ankles from the berry picking. Ahh, lazy summer bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment