2.15.2011

I'm not a pet person

My dear sister and her family just picked out a dog at a shelter. I suspect she didn't tell me because she knew what I would say. I'd like to think I'm open-minded, but after some reflection, I realized that, of course she would be looking for someone to reinforce her decision. She was right. That wasn't me.

Confession: I am not a "pet person." I've learned that one must be very careful about admitting this. Many people look at you like you just kicked a kitten. See, it's not that I don't like animals. I cried when I saw a large bird swoop down and carry a baby rabbit away in its mouth. I sobbed for a week when our family's cat was hit by a car when I was a child. I don't go to zoos because of the feelings of ambivalence they inspire. (I can't decide if I feel sorry for them because they are in captivity or if I feel envious because their every need is effortlessly met.)

But I can't pretend that I truly love animals or that I understand those who do. I don't like slobbery dog kisses or rambunctious canines that jump all over my dress pants and sniff wildly at me. I hate picking pet hair off my clothes and finding it covering the bottom of my socks. I dislike the smell of pet food and dog breath. And don't get me started on the amount of money that people spend on pet care. The idea that Rover needs a chiropractic adjustment or a therapeutic massage seems absurd. (I know I'm not the only one, either. Author Robert Fulghum had an essay about his feelings about dogs in It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It.)

If you're a pet lover, don't hate me. I'm NOT going to kick your dog. But I will push him away if he tries to "kiss" me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jill! I knew we had a lot in common! I also am not a huge pet person, but I can show a little bit of friendliness towards my parents dogs when I am home, but I don't plan on owning one anytime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See how great Indy is? He inspired this witty, well written post! :) He loves his Aunty Jill and can't wait to meet her. I'll try not to hide his beggin' strips treats in your dress pants. hee hee
    Love, your dear sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I just read your post, Aunt Jill, and I can understand some of the things you don't like about dogs. Stinky dog food, doggy breath, wet kisses, etc.
    But Indy himself makes up for it all!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Kate,
    Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you're enjoying Indy. If I come to visit, make sure your mom doesn't hide anything in my pants pockets!
    Love, Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Jill - I agree you 100% on the 'pet' thing - I have to admit that I don't understand it. I just have one question for Deb -- when we come to visit, who gets the bedroom -- Indy or us????

    ReplyDelete
  6. so the truth comes out....all those times you have come to visit, little did I know that you REALLY dont like Jake, Madison and (Kasey). And to think Kasey thought enough of you to let you share her bed. How sad.
    Well....one of my favorite sayings is, if you dont like dog hair, you shouldn't visit our house....since we wouldn't want that to apply to you, I guess I will just have to stock up on extra wine when you come so I can have time to through your clothes in the wash without you ever knowing. PS I won't tell the dogs how you feel because I might have to take them to see a therapist! Ahhhhh whats another grand or two if it's for our favorite pets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a pet lover either and I wrote an article about it here:

    http://www.helium.com/items/1750750-breaking-up-over-a-pet

    I've never been interested in animals, except for tropical fish. I will never ever be interested in having a four legged pet, no matter how "cute" they are, and I don't think that makes me a bad person. I'm happy to be pet free but it's true what you're saying about how other people can react very shocked and even outraged at meeting non-pet lovers like ourselves. There's even a Facebook group in support of pet lovers who are tired of being treated like they are cold and unfeeling people just because they don't like pets.

    ReplyDelete