1.22.2010

January 22 feature: Poppy

My sister suggested that I read Poppy by Avi. She raved about the clever writing and plot nuances. So, with high hopes, I opened the book. Scarcely do we meet Poppy, a little mouse, when her fiance Ragweed is eaten by Mr. Ocax, the owl who rules over the woods with clever intimidation. This event sets the stage for the little tale, as we see Poppy develop into an independent, courageous mouse. She questions Mr. Ocax's authority and puts it upon herself to seek out new living conditions for mice. I enjoyed the characters, especially porcupine Ereth. I confess that I have a hard time romanticizing mice since I waged a battle with them in my basement this fall! Therefore, I liked Poppy best when I forgot she was a mouse. :)

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have a new respect for your blog when I checked in and was pleasantly surprised to see a report on Poppy!

    At the bookstore tonight I saw "Million Dollar Throw" and am intrigued! I'll have to check that one out. : )

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete