12.08.2009

The Big House

I've been a Michigan fan for as long as I can remember. I'd watch the games with my dad as a kid. He'd take me outside and teach me pass plays (buttonhooks, stop-and-go, slants). I dreamed about playing college football. Seriously, I did. Then Dad told me that girls were not allowed to play college football. My father is not one to sugar-coat reality. (Now, I've been adrift for the rest of my life, since I had to ignore my true calling.)

I begged my father to take me to Ann Arbor for a game. Dad wasn't convinced that I understood enough about the game to go. "If you name 10 Michigan players," Dad said, "I will take you to a game." I proceeded to rattle off the names of 10 players on the spot. My father was suitably impressed and so that fall, I found myself driving to Ann Arbor for my first college football game. It was Sept. 20, 1986. Michigan hosted Oregon State. Dad bought tickets from someone at the Student Union. I loved the whole experience. I was actually in Michigan Stadium. We won the game 31-12.

Every autumn, I count myself fortunate if I get to see a game in The Big House. This year, my uncle invited me to the Michigan/Ohio State game, which is a monster rivalry in college sports. It was a fantastic day. The only way it would have been better is if the Wolverines had won. :) I have a good feeling about next year's team though. Go Blue!


No comments:

Post a Comment