4.30.2009

Career testing

It seems like a good idea to reassess my career options right now, so in the interest of this goal, I went down to local workforce development center today to take a test called CareerScope. The job center was busy with people on computers looking for employment and people getting help writing resumes. I went to inquire about the test at the desk and was directed to an ancient desktop system. I had my doubts about the test based on the dated user interface, which reminded me of an Atari video game.

The test itself was divided into two major parts. The first part surveyed my interests. The second part measured my competency in several areas. After nearly an hour of testing, I was done. The printer spat out 17 pages of detailed analysis for my reading enjoyment. The good news is that there were no major surprises. I'm not harboring some incredible aptitude of which I'm not aware (although I was a bit confounded at my interest rating in the "science" category).

I also found out about http://online.onetcenter.org/. This site is a good source of information about jobs, including projected future growth in the field and salary ranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment